\\\\\\\\\LIKE ERICH VON STROHEIM IN THE MOVIES: THE MAN YOU LOVE TO HATE/////////

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy Old Year


A couple of observations as we head into a new year:

--Auto Review: I had to take my car in for repair the other day. I was given a Dodge Durango as a loaner. Being that this was the first time that I had an SUV for an extended period of time (3 days), I now understand a little bit more the allure of these vehicles. You really do command the road. You're so high off of the ground, and you feel like you're in a tank. Here's the serious drawback, however: the 2006 Dodge Durango gets 14-16 mpg (city). My car gets 25-26 mpg (city). I wasn't thrilled by the fueling costs, to say the least. In the end, the Dodge Durango is a vehicle that is entirely too large for basic necessity and is completely inefficient. Boo SUVs.

--Speaking of efficiency: I really admire winter cyclists. Immensely. I bicycle all the time during the summer, but I don't ride as a commuter in any season. And I have good reasons: to commute by bike for me, considering my job, would be a major hassle as well as a bike security issue. If I ever switch careers, however, I will reconsider.

--Question: Why doesn't anyone make a bigger deal about the lack of minority coaches in the National Hockey League?

--Tip: If you're moving, and you ask you're friends for help, make sure to have everything packed and ready to move when your help arrives. Just being courteous.

--Holidays: The Blog of Failed Dreams prefers "Happy Old Year" to "Happy New Year". It's a way of putting the past in the past and clearing the slate. I kind of like it. I think.

--Question #2: Why don't they ever show the "Player's Wives / Girlfriends" seating area during televised figure skating competitions?

--News: No news yet on the "ink" thing (see previous post).

--News #2: "Doogie" of KFAN-AM 1130 Twin Town fame did the sports broadcast on two television stations Thursday night. I haven't heard how it went, but, knowing Doogie, I will.

--Observation: One on One Bike Studio is one of the craziest, and yet successful, business concepts I've ever encountered. And the bike basement / junkyard may be the best enclosed space in the entire Twin Town.

--Gambling: Pro Football picks for this week (normally I would never do this, but I was asked to by a friend, so I thought I'd let everyone else know my picks as well; it's only fair). Not using the spread:
Denver
NYG
Carolina
Baltimore
Seattle
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
New England
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
San Francisco
Jacksonville
Chicago
Washington
Dallas

--This "Reggie Bush Lottery" is ridiculous. As per usual, the guess here is that the best player in the draft (when discussed in 2015) will be someone other than Mr. Bush.

--Observation: Did you know the the people of this country have the power to cancel the charters of every U.S. based corporation, and could do so tomorrow (through Congress and/or state legislatures)? Just like that...poof...gone. Just like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home