\\\\\\\\\LIKE ERICH VON STROHEIM IN THE MOVIES: THE MAN YOU LOVE TO HATE/////////

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Quickly...Belimsky

(photo caption) This may or may not actually be a picture of the Chinese delegation I met yesteday. Lean towards the "may not" option.


On a friend's computer, don't have time to write a lot, here's a story for you:

Yesterday, a bunch of Chinese high school students visited my workplace. In many Asian schools, the English teachers (usually young Englishmen or Americans) give the students "English" names. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm guessing it's because: 1) Chinese names don't translate well and 2) to indoctrinate them, or something.

When the students introduced themselves to me, they introduced themselves as following: Bill, Henry, Christina, and Belimsky.

Belimsky?

"Who gave you that name?" I asked.

"My teacher," she responded.

"Okay," I replied.

I still don't get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home