\\\\\\\\\LIKE ERICH VON STROHEIM IN THE MOVIES: THE MAN YOU LOVE TO HATE/////////

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Why Do They Hate Us?

Remember when you were in high school, and you learned that "the sun never set on the British Empire" during its height, especially the end of the 19th Century?

What your teacher didn't tell you is that the sun never sets on the United States' Empire today.

Oh, sure: no one calls the United States an "empire", but isn't that only semantics? Don't we act today like the classic empires have in the past? Do we have any more concern for the people and places we dominate today than classic empires did yesteryear?

"Why do they hate us?" is a refrain often heard flying from the mouths of simpletons. Perhaps an answer is because the United States doesn't seem to be recognizing or respecting the sovereignty of nations today.

Where's the proof? Here's one piece...enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger AdamB said...

I wonder what US citizens would think about Dubai having a military base in the US, let alone a

That aside, I doubt many of those countries really have a problem with those bases, with the notable exception of Cuba. I get the impression that several countries don't have to spend as much on their defense budgets due to mutual defense treaties signed with the US. I'm thinking in particular of South Korea and Taiwan, but I've heard that European nations are also big-time free riders on American global dominance.

I think someone wrote a book lately about the whole "American empire" idea. I'm not sure that I buy that, especially given that the empire is supposed to be largely economic rather than military or colonial. But the persistent trade deficit means that more foreigners are buying US assets rather than vice versa.

In short, I'm not sure that I buy the idea of American empire. Or at least it's a very different sort of empire than the past ones.

Wed Jan 03, 08:42:00 PM 2007

 
Blogger AdamB said...

let alone a port facility, I meant.

Wed Jan 03, 08:42:00 PM 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home