\\\\\\\\\LIKE ERICH VON STROHEIM IN THE MOVIES: THE MAN YOU LOVE TO HATE/////////

Friday, May 19, 2006

Marxist Lady Friends

[photo caption] Epiphanies sometimes come with strange imagery. (image courtesy V.I. Lenin)

My Special Lady Friend is a Marxist. I never really realized this until I had to put together a lecture for today's class. The topic was Marx and Engels and The Communist Manifesto.

After a class reading on the Manifesto and a little biography of Marx, we used the Ford Motor Company to discuss was a car manufacturer looks like in a capitalist system versus what it would look like in a Marxist system.

Then, I asked the students if they could think of any local businesses that employ a quasi-Marxist approach. After some prodding, the students realized that co-operatives function according to some (though not all) principles of Marxism.

Given that My Special Lady Friend works at a local co-operative, my Logic 101 experience tells me that she's a Marxist.

Congratulations, Special Lady Friend! Way to stick it to those filthy capitalists! Yeah!


PS: JD from Rochester gets married tomorrow at 2PM. That means, at the time of this post, I only have 21 hours and 34 minutes to talk him out of it. I'll call you tonight, JD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home