\\\\\\\\\LIKE ERICH VON STROHEIM IN THE MOVIES: THE MAN YOU LOVE TO HATE/////////

Monday, June 05, 2006

This and That

[photo blog] The Empire State Building as seen from the Bowery, Manhattan. (photo courtesy GammaBlog.com)

A "Super Rookie-esque" post coming at you...

--A big weekend of racing. Saturday 6/4 saw something called the Cascade Classic road race in Osceola, Wisco. 40 miles of fun fun fun citizen (read: USCF Open) racing. Sketchy riders galore, and some could even hang in the lead pack. That sucked. I'm beginning to think that road races sans big climbs could be my bag, and I spent all day at the front. With about 10 miles to go, I got thinking about what I'd have to do to get a top 10. I spotted a Silver Cycling rider who was trying to get his teammate on his wheel, so I marked the two of them the rest of the way in. The only hitch was that as we neared the last turn the pace increased quite a bit, and I was pretty much squeezed. A half-assed sprint (never out of the saddle) down a sketchy finishing drag and I found myself finishing 20th. Whatever. My goal was to just finish in the main group, which I had never done at a WiSport race before.

--Sunday was the Capitol Crit for Autism over at, well, the Capitol. During some pre-race "strategizing" (Cat6 doesn't usually strategize or stick to said strategy), I expressed some interest in everyone (T3 and I) working for Plan B because this course set up for him (an uphill finish). Plan B declined, saying he didn't feel he had the legs and that he thought they should work for me instead. I didn't say "No", but I didn't quite think that that would work. In the end, T3 and Plan B got lapped and were pulled. The only other Cat6er in the race was Morgan, and he hadn't been part of our pre-race meeting. With about 6 laps to go, Morgan whizzed past me and went off the front. That was too bad, because I was willing to work for him. I don't know if it would've helped him, but we'll never know. But Morgan stayed at the front for 3 laps or so, burned himself out, and was spit out the back. At the end of the race, I was counting down the laps just hoping that it was over soon. I didn't bother with a finishing sprint and finished again around 20th. I stuck around to watch the category 1/2/3 race, but after the Cat6ers (Skidsy and Owen) were pulled, it was just the Hareland/Swanson Festival Part 23, so I dipped.

--This week at work is going to be really tough. I dismantled most of the wallhangings in my work space today and I'm going to start giving some of my furniture and other items to co-workers tomorrow. Technically I'm not done until Monday the 12th, but my mind checked-out about three weeks ago.

--I overheard some of my clients talking about OverheardInNewYork.Com today, so I checked it out. Here was my favorite:
"Twentysomething guy: The quality of life here is so bad...I mean, if you enjoy drinking all night and having random sex, you'll like living in New York. -Overheard at 5th and 9th"
It really made me miss New York. And I won't have the time or the resources to do a big summer trip this year, so New York and every other exotic place will have to wait for a while. A long while.

--To start track racing (on bicycles) or not? Not until July, at least...

--Over and out...

3 Comments:

Blogger AdamB said...

I'm still sore from that crit.

I filled Morgan in on the plan when we were lining up, that we were going to just try to stay together and if Tuffy still felt good by then we'd lead him out, but if Tuffy was spent then it was Morgan's race.

But T3 and I let ourselves get accordioned right off the back, so maybe next time.

Tue Jun 06, 06:23:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you better start racingo on the track.

Tue Jun 06, 07:19:00 AM 2006

 
Blogger Gordy said...

Dude,

I ain't read enough to know, but I sure thought you were a New Yorker. You just didn't strike me as a Midwesterner.

And no, I don't mean it as a bad thing.

I've only been NYC once. Enjoyed the bleep out of it. I'd love to go back soon.

Tue Jun 06, 06:05:00 PM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home